Monday, June 2, 2008

Vegetable Gardens Revolution

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."-Margaret Mead (1901 - 1978) US anthropologist

Reading an article on the Kitchen Gardner's website http://www.kitchengardeners.org/, recently got me thinking that, in the face of Global Warming & Oil shortages, that our skills as seed savers and vegetable growers will not only be required, but will become increasingly valued. It made me feel a little needed, in this ultra-conservative community, it also gave me a little hope.

Being a greenie at heart, my fruitless actions of my youth were insignificant against the tide of conformist attitude. So when the idea of growing your own food first could be a simple approach to farmed foods and the impact they have on the environment, first presented to me I jumped for joy. I also jumped at the opportunity to become involved in whatever way. Scouring the net I came across Seed Savers and lucky for me a local group. Along the way I have met some wonderful and caring people, picked up invaluable knowledge.

By growing my food, I have avoided fruits & veg that in their production, is fertilised, pesticide (several times), preserved, packaged and then transported and cool stored, all using synthetic chemicals and processes both wasteful and harmful to the environment. so you see, I'm doing my little bit and becoming more aware of the food on my plate and the natural processes and cycles from which good food comes.

Gardeners are in tune with the natural world, the weather, and the seasons. They look for ways of working peacefully and harmoniously with nature, rather than fighting against her. Growing our own reconnects us with skills and sensations that we have largely lost in the late 20th century. There is a connection with the soil, land, and water, whether it be a farm or a window-box. Gardeners understand where good food comes from and how it is produced, they tend to seek out food that is authentic, local, seasonal, and minimally-processed whenever possible.

Very few of us would be able to grow ALL of the food we need to live, but all of us can make an often significant contribution to our diets from our gardens, allotments or even balconies and windowboxes. ... As well as reducing the pressure that each of us places on precious land resources. By sharing this wondrous thing, whatever way i can i m involving people that would never usually sign up to a petition saving the natural environment, or they would never buy organic foods they are the ones that have no idea on soil ecosystem and the benefits of permacultre principles in gardening. However subconsciously they are absorbing these ideas, through Gardening!!! Simple and very conventional, very status quo.

No comments: